Indian Mee GorengThe Indian Muslim settlers in Malaysia created this unique noodle dish, which has Indian and Malaysian culture infused in one dish. Wonderful to taste and quite easy to prepare, but this dish is rarely found outside Malaysia. I fell in love love with this spicy affair during my first trip to Malaysia. I made it a point to eat it time and again and learned preparing it from a roadside Indian food stall. Everybody in my house loves it. I'm sure everyone at your house will also fall in love with Mee Goreng.
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Difficulty : Medium
Serves : 4
- Cooking Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of Chili paste or to taste (see the recipe below)
- 400 grams of Yellow Noodles, or cooked Egg Noodles
- 3 pieces of dried Tofu, cut into pieces or you can use a day old Paneer
- 1 Potato, boiled, peeled, and sliced
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Squids, cleaned and cut into rings (you get prepared squids at super market shelves, in case you don't get them, safely omit)
- A handful of Bean sprouts (you can prepare them at home or even buy
- Lettuce leaves (for garnishing)
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce or kecap manis
- 3 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- Sugar and salt to taste
How to prepare Chili Paste :Blend 10 dried red chilies in a food processor. Add some water and some oil to blend well. Heat the wok and add 1 teaspoon of oil then "tumis" (stir fry) the paste until the oil separates from paste. Set aside.
Method :1) Heat the wok and pour in the cooking oil.
2) When the oil is hot enough, add garlic, 3 tablespoons of chili paste, sliced potatoes, bean curd pieces, and squids. Stir fry until fragrant. This will take approximately 5 - 7 minutes. Set aside once done.
3) Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a clean wok, add yellow noodles and mix well. Now add the sauces and continue stirring. Set the noodles to the side of the wok.
4) Add some cooking oil in the middle and then crack the eggs.
5) Scramble the eggs and mix in with the noodles.
6) Add in the beansprouts and quick stir for another 1 minute.
7) Now add the pre-cooked veggies and squid mixture. Mix everything well. Check you seasonings and adjust if required.
8) Your Mee Goreng is ready. Serve hot and garnish with chopped spring onions and sliced red chilies. Squeeze some lime juice over the noodles before eating.