Hawaiian Shrimp Curry
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Difficulty : Easy
Serves : 6
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small piece of ginger root, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (12 oz) frozen coconut milk, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked shrimp
Method :1) In a skillet heat butter over medium high flame. Take care that the butter does not burn.
2) Add the onions once the butter has melted, saute onion in butter.
3) Half way through, stir in flour, curry powder, sugar, garlic, and ginger.
4) Cover and cook for 15 minutes on very low heat. Keep stirring n between and sprinkle water to keep the spices from burning or sticking to the pan.
5) Once the spices start releasing oil from sides, stir in broth and coconut milk.
6) Cover and cook 15 more minutes. Do not let sauce boil. The milk tends to split when boiled.
7) Meanwhile, wash, clean and devein the shrimps and saute them in a separate pan in 1 teaspoon of butter for 2 - 3 minutes, till they become translucent. Remove and keep aside.
8) Add salt and shrimp to the sauce, mix well and heat thoroughly. Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary.
9) Your Curry is ready to be served with rice and any or all of the following condiments:
Chopped green onions
Chopped sweet pickles
Chopped hard cooked eggs
Crisp crumbled bacon