Saica, The Curry from Bolivia
- 500 grams of ground Turkey or Big Chicken
200 grams of diced Tomatoes
1 large Green Pepper(Camsicum) chopped finely
1.5 medium Onion,chopped
4 Tablespoon Oil
12 baby Carrots chopped and boiled
3/4 cup cooked Lima beans (you can soak overnight and boil, or even use it out of a can)
3/4 cup cooked Peas
3 cloves Garlic1 tablesppon of Paprika powder2 teaspoons ground Cumin 2 Chicken cubes dissolved in 1 cup hot water/ or Meat Stock
1 Red Chili pepper chopped very finely ( without seeds)
Salt to taste
For Sarza: (the Topping):
- 1/2 medium onion sliced thin
1 medium tomato chopped
1 Red Chili Finely chopped Discard seeds if you don't want your dish to be too hot)
- For Serving :
- 6 -8 boiled Potatoes, peeled
- Cooked Rice
Method :1) Heat Oil in a pan over medium heat, once the oil is hot add meat, broen on all sides to lock the juices in.
2) Now add Onions, tomatoes, Capsicum, mix well and fry for about 15 minutes, till they are almost cooked.
- 3) Now add Garlic, cumin, salt and paprika. Mix well and fry all together for another 5 minutes.
4) Now add the stock and the pre cooked veggies (carrots, Lima beans and peas). Mix well. Simmer for 10 more mitutes.
5) Check seasonings and adjust if required.
7) To serve, Pour Saica over the hot rice, spoon sarza on top and serve with hot boiled potatoes. That is how Bolivians enjoy their favourite dish Saica.