Jamaican Shrimp and Chutney WrapThis is a Jamaican street food, very Indian in taste and reminds us of the days when ship full of Indians were transported to West Indies. The traditional Indian Roti and Chutney got married to freshly caught Shrimps of Caribbeans and Cajun spices, resulting this easy and tasty dish, which is sure to be a big hit in our Indian Kitchen.
Preparation time : 20 - 30 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Difficulty : Easy
Serves : 4
- 4 Rumali roti or thin Ready-made Flour tortillas
- 500 grams of medium sized Shrimps, washed, cleaned, deveined
- 6 large ripe Tomatoes , blanched, and finely chopped
- 2 medium Onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of Garlic , finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon of Oil , (you can use Olive oil or any Vegetable oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika ( you can use Red Chili powder instead. If you want it to be spicier, increase the paprika to suit your taste)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Spice (you can find the recipe in my blog)
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup of Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Green chilies (you can even give 1, if you don't want Chutney to be too hot)
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 fresh Lime whole, (juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- First step for this dish is to have properly cleaned Shrimps. In case you are using frozen ones then just wash and drain them. If you are using fresh ones, remove the shell, wash properly and remove the vein from the back. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan heat oil over medium flame, once it is hot enough add Shrimps, saute them in the oil for 5 minutes till they are lightly pink. Take them out on a plate with a slotted spoon.
- In the same oil now add the Cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Add chopped Onions, fry till translucent, add chopped garlic, fry for a few seconds and add the chopped tomatoes. Stir well.
- Turn the gas flame to medium slow and let the tomatoes cook for 5 minutes, or till they are no longer raw. Add the spice powders ( Cumin, Coriander, Cajun and Paprika). Mix well.
- Let this mixture cook for 10 more minutes till it is thick as a sauce.
- Add the pre cooked Shrimps, season and mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes till the Shrimps are properly cooked. Check the seasoning, adjust if required. Sprinkle a bit for coriander leaves and set the shrimp mixture aside.
- In a mixer add the Coriander leaves, garlic and chili. Add the water and churn till it becomes a green paste (It tastes better if you keep it chunky and not so smooth). It should be thick. A runny paste will wet the wrap.
- Take it out in a bowl. Add lime juice and seasonings. Mix the sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Now taste it and adjust the seasoning.
- On a clean counter top place one Roti/ tortilla, in the centre spoon 1/4 of the Shrimp mixture, add a couple of teaspoons of Chutney on the top. Sprinkle a bit of Coriander leaves and wrap it well from all the four sides.
- Prepare the rest in the similar way and serve immediately with a bowl of fresh salad.