This meatloaf might not be one of the easiest or fastest meatloaf recipe, but a Norwegian Meatloaf can easily make its place in the history of food, because it dates back to the era of Vikings. I was going through a book about Vikings, some ten years back, when I came across this recipe. I did a bit of research on Norwegian food at that point of time, and came to know that, this meatloaf was a part of their staple diet. Though meatloaves are a part of many European Cuisine, but somehow I liked this more. So my dear friends, get, set and cook something which was once cooked over a hearth by the Viking ladies :)
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Baking Time : 1 hour + 20 minutes
Resting Time : 10 minutes + 5 minutes
Difficulty : Easy
Serves : 4
- 500 grams of Ground Beef (you can substitute with Lamb or Mutton, as I do)
- 5 cups seasoned Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 cup minced Onion
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoon Flour (use ordinary all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon Dill Weed (use fresh ones, if you don't get fresh then only go for bottled version)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- pinch Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Pasteurised Processed Cheese
Method :1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Line an 8-inch loaf pan with foil extending about 1/2 inch above sides.
3) In medium bowl, combine ground beef/lamb/mutton, 2 cups of the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour, dill, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well but don't kneed too much, it will harden the meat.
4) Press mixture into loaf pan.
5) Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
6) Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
7) Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
8) Carefully remove meatloaf by lifting foil from pan.
9) Peel off foil and transfer with spatula to an oven proof serving platter.
10) In medium bowl, combine remaining potatoes with cheese.
11) Spread on top and sides of loaf.
12) Return to oven and bake 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
13) Let it stand for 5 more minutes before you slice and serve with boiled vegetables and apple sauce or pan juice sauce.