Boliche or Cuban Pot Roast Stuffed with Ham
This is another of the very famous Cuban recipes I learnt from my ex colleague. This dish is a typical slow cooker. So you can start of the dish on a lazy Saturday afternoon and it's ready by the time you are ready to entertain your guests or rather you are ready with a glass of wine, with your family members sitting round the table... this is not a dish which you can rustle up in minutes nor a dish you can hurriedly push into your mouth on your way to your office. This is a dish to be enjoyed with someone close. This is the best way to show your love for them. Cubans cook their Boliche, with Pork/Beef stuffed with Ham and I recreated it with Chicken.
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 2 hours 30 minutes
Resting Time : 15 minutes
Difficulty : Medium
Serves : 6 - 8
- 1 Kilo whole Chicken Roast (It is better to ask for Roast chicken from your Chicken shop, because it is difficult and time consuming to dress a chicken at home)
- 6 large Garlic cloves, crushed well
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 250 grams Ham, chopped into fine sheds
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 medium Onions, sliced
- 1" slice of 1 Tomato, cut into quarters
- 10 whole Black Peppers
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Dry White Cooking Wine
- 1 cup Water
7) Heat a pan large enough to hold the whole roast on medium high gas. Add vegetable oil.
12) Once the roast is done and passes the fork test (i.e. the fork enters the thickest part of the chicken easily and it flakes out) take is out on a plate and cover with a foil.
13) Let it rest for 15 minutes, while you reduce the pan sauce to a sauce consistency. Check the seasonings and adjust if required.
14) To serve slice and garnish with the sauce. You can serve this with mashed potatoes and boiled vegetables or even with yellow rice.