Thursday, 27 September 2012
Chilaquiles-Style Roasted Chicken Legs
Chilaquiles is a common dish in Mexico. The ladies in Mexico are so conscious about food that they never throw away the leftovers. This dish is made in almost all Mexican homes with leftover Chicken, Tortilla strips, Corn and Cheese. I find this idea very intriguing as in every Indian home, mothers teach their children not to waste food and they too recycle the leftovers into some wonderful dishes, which never seems like leftovers any more. So when I came across Chilaquiles, I was fascinated and tried to come up with some more innovations. Here is one such dish for you. I have used Chicken legs, you can use any leftover chicken pieces for this dish.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 50 minutes
Difficulty : Medium
Serves : 4
1) Preheat the oven to 450°.
2) On a work surface, mash the garlic cloves to a paste with a pinch of salt.
3) Transfer the garlic paste to a small bowl and stir in the ground cumin, chili powder and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside.
4) In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, toss the drained diced tomatoes with the hominy, jalapenos, half of the spice paste and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
5) Gently mix in the crushed tortilla chips.
6) On a work surface, cut halfway through the joint between the thigh and drumstick on the underside of each chicken leg.
7) Score the top of each leg 3 or 4 times, cutting to the bone.
8) Rub the remaining spice paste over and into the chicken and arrange skin side up in the baking dish.
9) Roast in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
10) Leave the chicken in the oven and turn on the broiler.
11) Broil/ Roast for about 3 minutes, just until the chicken skin is golden and crispy.
12) Transfer the chicken to a large plate and return the baking dish to the oven.
13) Broil/ Roast for about 3 minutes, until the tortilla chips are lightly browned.
14) Return the chicken to the baking dish, and sprinkle with cilantro.
15) Serve hot with sour cream and avocadoes.
This is a one pot meal, so you can serve it as it is.