Salmon with Hot Beetroot Relish
A traditional British Christmas Eve dinner always sports a dish of Salmon. This British dish of Salmon served with Hot Beetroot Relish is very easy to prepare and equally enjoyed by everyone. The spicy Hot Beetroot relish compliments the sweet taste of Salmon very well. You cam serve this with a bowl of fresh salad and loads of crispy garlic bread. I always enjoyed this dish because of the wonderful taste and flavour and freshness of the fish. In case you can't find Salmon you can also use any other white fleshed fish for this dish. I also take this opportunity to wish each one of you an your family members a very Happy Christmas. Prepare some wonderful dishes and enjoy with your family and friends.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Marination Time : 30 minutes plus another 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 25 minutes
Difficulty : Easy
Serves : 4 - 6
- 6 Salmon Fillets, skin off, (about 125g each)
- A little Olive or Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-milled Black Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 bunches Watercress or a large bag of Wild Rocket or baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 Lemon, cut in 6 wedges
For the Relish:
- 4 tablespoons coarse Whole-grain Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar
- 250 grams cooked whole beetroot (not pickled), diced small
Method :1) Lightly brush the salmon fillets with oil, season lightly with salt and liberally with black pepper, mix well and set aside for half an hour.
2) Pre-heat your oven to 190 degree Centigrade.
3) Arrange the fish pieces in a non-stick roasting pan.
4) Mix together the soy sauce, ginger and lemon juice in a bowl and pour over the salmon.
5) Leave to marinate for another 15 minutes then place in an oven pre-heated to 190°C and bake.
6) Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until the flesh feels just firm.
7) About half-way through the cooking process baste the fish with the pan juices.
8) At the end of 25 minutes, check with a fork. If the fish is well cooked it will flake under the fork.
9) Remove from the oven, cover with foil and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
11) Mix together the cooked beetroot, mustard, honey and vinegar in a bowl.
12) To serve arrange the green leaves on a plate, arrange the salmon on top and spoon-over the beetroot relish. Garnish with the lemon wedges and serve hot.