Kofteli Bezelye - Turkish Sweet Peas with Meatballs
Turkish Cuisine is considered as one of the most exotic in the world. The varieties of dishes, usage of spices, the aroma and the taste of the dishes makes dining experience a memorable event. I always loved the Turkish cooking and admired their style of presentation. The Turkish chefs has an unique quality of presenting even a simple dish is a picturesque style which changes the whole dinner table from a simple affair to something special. This dish is easy to prepare and is very tasty. The Indian markets get their share of sweet peas flooding in, right this time, and they are just right for this wonderful dish. You can prepare this dish with the frozen peas too but fresh ones always taste better.
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Resting Time : 30 minutes (or more in the fridge)
Baking Time : 30 - 40 minutes
Difficulty : Easy
Serves : 6
- 1 kilo Sweet Peas
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 1 big Carrot, sliced round
- 1 big Potato, cut in cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Hot Water
- 500 grams Ground Beef/Mutton/Lamb
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Method :1) Mix the meatball ingredients in a bowl. Do not mix too much, it will turn the balls tougher. Mix it with a very light hand.
2) Wet hands and take pieces smaller than walnut and make little meatballs using your palms. Arrange on a greased plate.
3) Cover and keep them in fridge prior to use. They should be in the fridge for at least half an hour.
4) Meanwhile, take potatoes, sweet peas and carrots in a heat proof dish. Sprinkle with salt and mix.
5) Dissolve tomato paste in hot water.
6) Pre-heat oven to 400 degree F (200 degree Centigrade)
7) Take the meatballs out of the fridge and place over the vegetables.
8) Pour the hot water with tomato paste over and add the tomatoes evenly as well.
9) Bake in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 30-40 minutes or until meatballs and potatoes are cooked.
10) Serve warm with pilaf. You can sprinkle chopped coriander from top before serving.