Ma La Chicken (Malaysian Chicken Curry)This chicken curry was named Ma La by the local Malaysian Chefs who run fast food stalls on the roads of Kuala Lumpur. This is served hot with white steamed rice or even sticky rice. You can eat it with rice or even pilaf. I had the first taste of it at a fast food stall on roadside and enjoyed it so much that I got the recipe from the vendor. Different vendors have their own recipes which are more or less the same with few alterations. I have tried almost all of the alterations and then ended up with this version which is easy yet tasty. It can be prepared in minutes on a week night after a tiring day. Try it out and let me know your comments.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Difficulty : Very Easy
Serves : 4 - 6
Ingredients :Boneless Chicken Thighs : 750 grams
Corn starch : 1/2 cup or as much needed
Oil : as much required
Button Mushrooms : 200 grams
Onion : 1 (chopped) or several scallions (quartered)
Chicken Stock : 1 Tbsp
Szechuan Black Bean Sauce : 2 Tbsp (Used the bottled ones)
White Pepper Powder : 1 Tsp
Cayenne Pepper : 1 Tsp ( Use normal Red Chili Powder instead)
Red Bell Pepper : 1 whole deseeded and cubed
Whole Red Chilies : 2 Chopped (in a slanted way)
Salt : To taste
Green Onions : Chopped one handful
|Ma La Chicken|
- Dice the chicken into medium pieces wash and drain well.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in corn starch and shake away the excess.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat until it is hot enough for frying.
- Fry the chicken pieces until cooked through and browned. Remember not to over crowd the pan, otherwise the oil temperature will go down and the pieces will be braised and not fried.
- Once all the chicken pieces are fried drain away the oil from the wok but a few table spoons off oil.
- Add chopped red chilies to the oil, be careful the seeds might splutter.
- Add the mushroom and onions and fry till the onions have softened.
- Now ad the chicken back to the wok.
- Mix it well and add the Red bell pepper, White pepper powder and salt to taste.
- In a bowl mix the chicken broth with black bean sauce, soy sauce and cayenne pepper.
- Pour over the chicken and cook for a few minutes.
- In a bowl add 1 table spoon corn starch and a little water. Add it to the chicken.
- Stir fry till the sauce thickens. If it is too dry add a little water. It should be a thick gravy not watery neither too dry.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if required.
- Sprinkle green onions from the top.
- Serve hot with seamed hot rice.