Swedish Meat Pie
- Butter : 1 tbsp
- Minced Mutton : 500 grams
- Onions : 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Parsley : 2 Tbsp finely chopped
- Ground Allspice: 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg : 1 pinch
- Potato : 2 medium grated
- Cheddar Cheese : 1 cup finely grated
- Salt : To taste
- Shortening : 3/4 cup ( you can use cold butter instead)
- Flour : 2 cups (use all purpose if available, otherwise add 1/4 tsp baking powder)
- Sour cream : 6 tbsp (if you don't get sour cream, use hung curd)
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Take care that the butter does not burn.
- Add the minced meat to the melted butter and fry till it is no longer raw.
- Add onions, parsley, ground allspice, nutmeg, potatoes and salt to the mixture and cook well till the meat is well cooked.
- Once the meat is completely done, add the cheese and mix well.
- If any extra fat gathers, drain well and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a big bowl add the flour and the shortening (or cold butter cut into very small pieces) and mix with a light hand till it looks like a crumble.
- Add sour cream to it and bring it together to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in a cling film and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Take out the dough and kneed well on a floured surface.
- Cut into 6 - 8 balls. Roll into rounds 18 inch thick.
- Put mixture onto the lower half and cover with the upper half to form a half moon shape.
- Seal the edges with water and set on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Bake the pies for 20 minutes or till they are golden brown.
- Serve hot with a bowl of crunchy salad. You can also serve it as a snack accompanied with a yogurt dip.