Caldo de Peixe (Cape Verdean Fish Soup)Caldo de Peixe is a traditional Cape Verdean recipe for a classic soup of fish with potatoes and sweet potatoes cooked in tomato-based herbed broth. The cuisine here is highly influences by the Portugese settlers and the immegrants from African countries. The Creole dishes of Cape Verde are known for the use of freshest of sea foods and meat. This dish is very simple and equally tasty. An ideal comfort food for a busy week night. Just add some fresh breads and a bowl of salad...
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Standing Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Difficulty : Very Easy
Serves : 6
- 6 White Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch fresh Parsley
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 3 medium Onions
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 4 Spring Onions
- 1.5 kilos fresh salt-water Fish scaled, gutted and cleaned
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Method :1) Wash, Clean and Cut the fish into small pieces.
2) Add a little salt and pepper to the fish pieces and set aside for 10 minutes.
3) Heat a wok and add some oil over medium high heat.
4) Gently fry the onions, tomatoes, spring onions and peppers in oil and fry for a few minutes.
5) Cover with water and gently bring to a boil.
6) Add the white and sweet potatoes and parsley then cover and reduce to a simmer.
7) Check the potatoes after 12 -15 minutes. Once they are done, increase the heat.
8) Add seasonings and check the broth.
9) Add a little more fresh parsley before serving. Serve hot with fresh bread and salad.